wide blue shelf

wide blue shelf

Sunday, July 02, 2006

I didn't do the reading for my last assignment a day early, like I had semi-planned. I kinda figured I wouldn't, though, so it wasn't a shock. Now I have a few days before my next assignment is due. What a relief.

So I finally had time for a good thought. What are "the dickens"? Have you ever wondered that? I mean, you hear them described all the time in all kinds of ways. From what I can gather, the dickens are hot, they sting, they're fast, they run, fly, bite, and do just about anything else you can think of, when it suits them. You may even have heard things referred to as a dickens. Maybe you've heard someone call a puppy, a kitten, or even a small child a cute little dickens, meaning that a dickens can take on a form of their choosing. That, however, does not answer the question: What are they? It even raises more questions, like "What is their purpose?", "What do they want?", and "Why are they referred to in both singular and plural forms as a dickens?" Like the age-old quandry of how many licks it takes to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop, these are questions whose answers the world may never know. But I do know one thing; dickens are awesome.

1 comment:

AfroRyan said...

I love dickens.